8.3.15

Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness is a very obvious example of a Gothic novel. It challenges the inner workings of the human mind and elaborates on horror.  Marlow and other characters constantly address spirits, ghosts, and demons which are known in Gothics and fear is a common theme. Marlow sees many frightful visions and shapes that parallel the fright in his heart for the fate of morals and deconstruction of his own self like so.
And the memory of what I had heard him say afar there, with the horned shapes stirring at my back, in the glow of fires, within the patient woods, those broken phrases came back to me, were heard again in their ominous and terrifying simplicity. (Heart 151)

These moribund shapes were free as air--and nearly as thin. I began to distinguish the gleamof the eyes under the trees. Then, glancing down, I saw a face nearmy hand. (Heart 81-82)

It had become so pitch dark that we listeners could hardly see one another. For a long time already he, sitting apart, had been no more to us than a voice. There was not a word from anybody. The others might have been asleep, but I was awake. I listened, I listened on the watch for the sentence, for the word, that would give me the clue to the faint uneasiness inspired by this narrative that seemed to shape itself without human lips in the heavy night-air of the river. (Heart 95)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting on my post. I really appreciate it.

I do want to tell you though that most of my posts are solely for the purpose of providing a new perspective to the piece of literature, whether or not I actually believe it.

Again. thank you and have a nice day!